The Faculty of Native Studies - University of Alberta is co-hosting a Traditional Knowledge - Science Fair with Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta, and the Treaty 6 Confederacy. The vision of the fair is to bring together youth from across Treaty 8 and 6 territories from May 25th - 26th 2015 in Edmonton to share their experiences and knowledge about environmental change in Alberta. The fair will be held at the Shaw Conference Centre.
Benefits of Participation:
- Chance to win prizes for Poster Presentations
- Opportunity to learn from prominent researchers from around the world studying environmental change and sustainability
- FREE conference registration (valued at $350)
- FREE lunch during conference
- FREE admission to the TELUS World of Science during group visit
- FREE admission to Fort Edmonton Park on the evening of May 25th for opening ceremonies
- Opportunity to visit the University of Alberta campus and be mentored by a current university student in the Faculty of Native Studies
- Opportunity to learn about educational futures in the sciences and the links with traditional knowledge and indigenous communities
- Students residing in a Treaty 8 First Nation who attend a band-operated or Provincially recognized school in Alberta.
- Grade 7-12
- Required to prepare poster presentations about key issues of environmental change (e.g., natural resource development, climate change, wildlife health or sustainability of water resources) at the conference
- Any Chaperones attending must be available to travel with the student to Edmonton and attend the conference
- Support from First Nation, school, and parent (completion of application forms provided)
List of Potential Poster Topics:
- Impacts to water resources from oil and gas development
- Changes to wildlife health and population from resource development
- Importance of medicinal plants and the impacts from forestry
- Forest fire prevention
- Water rights and access
- Community recycling or energy-efficiency programs
- Any other topic related to the environment and/or community initiatives around sustainability. Tell us what is important in your community!!
Deadline for Applications:
- May 1st, 2014 NOTE: Poster says April 25th but the deadline has been extended to May 1st.
- Click here to fill out application
If you have any questions or would like to apply please contact:
Kelsey Dokis-Jansen email@example.com
Jenn Cardinal firstname.lastname@example.org